Solovis provides a powerful cloud-based platform for multi-asset class portfolio management, reporting and analytics – uniquely designed for the limited partner community. Our Solovis integration allows you not only to keep key fields for entity data in both platforms up-to-date with each other, but to determine which system will be the primary source of the individual field's data on a field-by-field basis. By this we mean that for each field you map between Solovis and Synap, you can choose for that individual field whether it will be maintained in Solovis and "pulled" to Synap, or maintained in Synap and "pushed" to Solovis. By marrying the qualitative (Synap) data with the quantitative (Solovis) data through this integration you can ensure more accurate and seamless, multi-faceted reporting.
In this Article
|New Integration Setup||Connecting Entities and Mapping Fields||Common Questions|
How to set up a new integration
Only a Synap User-Admin can set up the integration. Before the integration can be set up on the Synap side, the Solovis URL and API key must be acquired.
- Log in to Solovis.
- Click on your name in the upper right.
- Click My Account.
- Select API Keys.
- Click the Add API Key button.
- Add a Comment for reference, such as Synap Integration.
- Leave Expires On field blank, unless your Security protocols require otherwise.
- Check these boxes for Allowed Roles:
- Data Manager
- Interactive API Login
- Click Save to generate the key and return to the API keys screen.
- Reveal the API key by clicking on View Key in the Actions column for the key and then copy the string of digits in the floating API Key modal to paste into Synap.
Whether you copy this to a notepad or immediately change over to your Synap to paste it in is up to you. Jump here in the instructions if you are pasting it right away.
- Copy the URL for your Solovis account from your web browser, it will look something like this:
Keep your API key active. The API key is linked to the User who generated it. If the API key User leaves your team/loses their Solovis login privileges, the integration will stop working. It is a simple and fast task to get a new API key and replace it in the integration. For a little more detail go to the Common Questions section.
- Log into Synap as a User-Admin and click on Configure in the main navigation menu.
- Click Edit button in the Integrations box.
- Scroll to the Solovis integration and click the Add button.
- Copy Paste the URL for your company's instance of Solovis into the URL field at the bottom of the page (2nd to last field).
- Paste the API key from Solovis into the API field (last field on the page).
Connecting entities and mapping fields
Once you have set up your integration and are ready to connect your Synap entity to its Solovis counterpart, contact us to create the bridge. Once the bridge between entities is established, then you can map the fields.
Creating a link between entities
In order to establish the bridge between the Synap and Solovis entities, we must receive from you certain Solovis entity field data in order to create a link (or bridge) from the record in Synap to the correct record in Solovis. Here is the field data needed and how/where to find it in Solovis:
- Data must be received as a .csv or .xls file
- Each row in the file will represent one entity/record. Each file must contain no less than three (3) columns containing the following data:
We will explain where to find this data immediately following the list.
- Id - this will be the Synap entity Id, a long hyphenated string of numbers and letters that are the unique identifier for the specific entity in Synap.
- Resource Id - this is the Solovis record's Resource Id, usually a 5 digit number.
- Solovis entity URL - essentially, this is the "web address" for the specific record.
- The Synap entity Id can be found by entering the Synap entity name (usually for a fund) in the QuickSearch field and, from the landing page, click on the gear icon then select View Details from the drop down menu which will reveal all fields, including the Id.
- You can also get the Synap entity Id by running a report on that kind of entity and adding the Id field to the report.
- The Solovis Resource Id can be found by entering the Solovis entity name in the Search bar (near top of page) opening the entity, going to the Data Management tab and in the top section of fields click on more to reveal additional fields, including the Resource Id. Our screen shot shows less, where more would be.
- Getting the Solovis entity's URL is as simple as navigating to the entity in Solovis, and then copying the address in the web address bar at the top of your web browser.
Yes, it will be long and include a lot of seemingly illegible text, but it will be legible to the servers!
- Combine the Synap entity Id, the Solovis Resource Id, and the Solovis URL into one row of a .csv or .xls file and please do include a header row to identify which column contains each field value. If it helps you to include the Solovis and/or Synap entity name on the row, please feel free to do so, but it is not required for our purposes.
As we do not live in your data the way you are, we will not be able to verify the matches. As with carpentry, "measure twice, cut once,": you may want to do a second verification that the Synap and Solovis Ids match the correct entities to be linked before you submit the file.
- If you have more than one entity to link, they can be combined into the same sheet in an .xls or .csv file.
- Send this file with your request by clicking the Help Icon from the main navigation.
From the drop down, just select "Report an Issue" and attach your .csv/.xls file to the request.
Using our Help Desk system allows us to better track the progress and history of requests, notifies multiple teammates at the same time, and ensures that even when a teammate is out someone will see the help request.
- As soon as we have created the link(s), we will notify you.
How to map fields between Synap and Solovis
Mapping fields is as easy as click, click, click! While any User may view the mapped fields, only a Synap User-Admin may make changes to your mapping.
- In Synap, click Configure in the main navigation screen.
- Click the Edit button in the Integrations box.
- Scroll to the Solovis Integration and click on the Add button.
- If any fields have been mapped, they will be listed first, underneath the Synap and Solovis logos in the Linked Fields area.
- The field list on the left is Synap and the field list on the right is Solovis.
- The wall + arrow symbol indicates in which direction the data is being pushed/pulled.
- Arrow pointing toward the Solovis field indicates that the data is maintained in Synap and pushed to Solovis.
- Arrow pointing toward the Synap field indicates that the data is maintained in Solovis and pulled into Synap.
- Below the Linked Fields area is the field mapping selection area with a field list and a search bar for both Synap and Solovis fields as well as filters for the list of Synap fields shown.
- If you know the field you want to map, enter it into the search bar, or scroll to it on the list.
If a field has already been mapped, it will no longer be on this list.
- Select the field you want to map, be it a Synap or Solovis field, and find the matching field for the other platform in the corresponding list and select.
- Once a field in both the Synap and Solovis columns has been selected, they will automatically be linked and appear in the Linked Fields list above.
- Default linking direction (push arrow to Solovis or pull arrow to Synap) is determined by which field was selected first.
- Change direction of the link by clicking on the link symbol (i.e. the arrow).
- Click Unlink to remove the mapping link between two fields.
- Click Save to exit.
While we endeavor to develop with mobile in mind, mapping Solovis fields is best done from a larger screen where you can see your list of Synap and Solovis fields side-by-side.
Common Questions Answered
- The fields I want to map are not on either of the lists. Why?
- At present, only fields for Funds, People, and Organizations in Synap are available, and only certain types of data - text, list, number (does not include currency or dates) - can be mapped.
- If your field fits those parameters, please contact us (see link at bottom of screen) so that we can help you troubleshoot your issue.
- How often is the data updated in either direction?
- Synap to Solovis: data will be pushed as soon as you make a change to that field for an entity in Synap.
- Solovis to Synap: data will be pulled at 12:04am (00:04) and 12:04pm Central Time.
- None of our fields are updating in either direction. What's going on?
- Has the User who set up the integration left your team? If, so, it may be that your API key is no longer valid. See the New Integration section above to reset your API key.
- If the User who set up your integration is still with your team, please contact us (see link at bottom of screen) directly to troubleshoot.
- What will happen if the API key is invalid?
When a user has an invalid connection, upon going to the Solovis integration page, they now see an alert telling them the error
When a user has an invalid connection, when going to edit an entity that is synchronized with Solovis, they will not be able to edit any fields that are mapped from Solovis to Synap