Task Templates allow you to standardize tasks that you recreate on a regular basis. This will save you time and typing and help you create repeatable processes and ensure everyone is adding the same data to repeatable tasks.
Forms, also used in Notes, add additional functionality in that they allow you to view and sometimes edit fields other than task fields - such as the fields on the kind of entity the task is associated with or fields for any related entities to that kind of entity.
How to create a task template
- Click on the Configure icon in the main navigation menu.
- Click Edit in the Task Templates section to bring up the list of kinds of entities for which you can create a template. Each task template is specific to one (1) kind of entity.
- Click New in the desired section to start a new template.
- Give your template a useful name and description that will help other Users understand when to use this template.
- Due is the date by which the task must be completed and is highly configurable. Additionally, if a User creates a task with a task template, they can adjust the date on the task itself. Click the plus icon in the field to bring up the date selection options which include:
- Task Creation Date
- Configure the due date based on the date the task was created and add a Date Modifier to:
- Add or subtract days from the task date as the due date.
- Mark the beginning or end of a week, month, quarter, etc as the due date.
- Field Value
- Use an existing date field as the marker and add modifiers similar to those used above.
- Fixed Date
- This may be the least useful for a task template but you can choose to set a hard date on the template. There is probably no reason for you to ever choose this option when using a task template.
- Click Done to save your Due Date or X to discard your changes.
Tip: More Advanced Date Configurations are described here.
- Click on the plus icon in Regarding sections to add additional entities.
- Applied to as the default refers only to the specific instance of this kind of entity (i.e. the person instance if this is a Person Task Template).
- At present, the system does not by default add the "parent" entity (i.e. the organization of the person) to a task template so be sure to add that if you want the task to show up on the "parent."
- Click Done to save or X to discard changes.
- Select the plus icon in Assigned to if you want the task to, by default, be assigned to a particular role. Click Done to save or X to discard changes.
This can be changed on the task itself when created from this task template.
- To add any additional task fields to this template, click on the plus icon in the Additional Fields section.
- The field selector will pop up and you can select one or more fields.
- You can filter the list of fields by type if you want to narrow your options.
- Click Done when finished selecting fields to add fields or X to discard changes.
- See this article to learn more about adding a Form to your task template.
- If you are not adding a Form to your Task Template, click Publish at the top to make your template available.
- Click Save to store a draft if you are not ready to Publish. It will appear in the list of templates with the label Unpublished Changes next to the title.
- Click Discard discard unpublished changes.
Advanced Due Dates
If your Due Date needs go beyond a single modifier, you can add more than one modifier to show, for example:
- 10 days after the end of the month.
- 5 days after the start of the next month.