Note Templates solve the question of "What if I need to record the same type of information in multiple Notes?" and add so much more value beyond saving you some typing. We have created templates that allow you to not only tailor a note for a specific situation (i.e. Monthly Fund Check-in, or Weekly Triage Meeting) but to see and change data in fields on the entity to which this note is applied, as well as see (and sometimes edit) fields from closely related entities.
When you have created a note template, it will be available for selection in a menu when you click Add Note at the top of a timeline.
How to add a note template
- Click on the Configure icon in the main navigation menu.
- Click Edit in the Note Templates section to bring up the list of kinds of entities for which you can create a template. Each note template is specific to one (1) kind of entity.
- Find the desired kind of entity in the list and click New to start a new template
- Give your template a useful name and description that will help other Users understand when to use this template.
- Anything you type in the text editor box will become a part of your template. For example:
- Add questions for the note creator to answer.
- Embed an @ mention to ensure a notification is always sent to a specific person.
- Click on the plus icon in the Tags to add default tags when a note is created using this note template.
- Note template Regarding sections add Applied to by default, however:
- Applied to as the default refers only to the specific instance of this kind of entity (i.e. the person you're on when adding this note template).
- At present, the system does not by default add the "parent" Entity (i.e. the organization of the person) to a note template - this is different from a regular note - so be sure to add that if you want the note to show up on the parent entity, as well.
- To add any additional fields to this template, click on the plus icon in the Additional Fields section.
- The field selector will pop up and you can select one or more existing custom fields on notes. For more information on adding custom fields see this article.
- You can filter the list of fields by type if you want to narrow your options.
- Click Done when finished selecting fields to add fields to your template or X to cancel.
- See this article to learn more about adding a Form to your note template.
- If you are not adding a Form to your note template, click Publish at the top to make your template available to all Users in your account.
- Click Save to exit the editor without publishing. It will appear in the list of templates with the label Unpublished Changes next to the title.
Note: The system auto saves your work as you go along, no need to click Save unless you are ready to exit the editor without publishing or discarding your changes.
- Click Discard to discard any unpublished changes to your Template.