Add a shared mailbox
Microsoft mail (e.g. Exchange, Office 365) allows you to set up shared mailboxes that can be accessed by multiple people. These are often used to receive broadcast messages to be consumed by more than just one person at an organization, such as performance estimates for financial services organizations or support or information requests for other organizations.
What you get by adding a shared mailbox
- Synap will automatically create records for all of the people and associated organizations that send email to the shared mailbox.
- It will also automatically add all of the email messages to those timelines in Synap.
A couple notes to consider before adding a shared mailbox
- There are no options to toggle sharing on/off for the contacts shared from the shared mailbox.
- That said, Admins can choose to delete individual email threads and contacts.
- Once added, there is not currently a way to disable the shared mailbox integration.
How to add a shared mailbox to Synap
Any user with an active EWS or Office 365 email account configured in Synap can add a shared mailbox to Synap, provided and they have access to the shared mailbox by way of that email account.
- Go to Configure from the left navigation bar.
- Choose Edit in the Integrations section.
- Click/tap the Manage My Accounts button in the Exchange Web Services or Outlook 365 sections.
- Click/tap Add Shared Account button next to your existing mail account.
- Enter the email address of the shared mailbox and click Save.
How to see contacts from a shared mailbox
The user who adds the shared mailbox (only) will have access to a page where they can view a list of all the organizations and people associated with messages in the shared mailbox. Some of these contacts may have already existed via other means.
To view this page, go back to Configure > Edit in Integration section > Manage My Accounts and then click the "View Associated People" link next to the shared mailbox (see above image).