Opportunities in Synap represent a potential sale of your products or services, whether it’s the the first sale to that customer or a follow-on. Some other systems refer to them as deals. The key is that they are associated with an organization (either a customer or a prospective customer) and have properties such as stage, amount, target date, and internal representative. There can be any number of additional data points related to the opportunity, which users can create using custom fields.
Some of the benefits of tracking opportunities in Synap include:
- Saving time when you need to communicate about the opportunity to a teammate.
- Forecasting incoming revenue by representing multiple potential deals with a given organization and building pipeline reports.
- Closing more deals by adhering to a set process for all opportunities by using custom fields and views.
How to add an opportunity
- Use the main search to navigate to the organization for which you would like to open an opportunity.
- Once you’re on that organization’s page, go to the Opportunities tab at the top (to the right of Timeline and People).
- Use the Add an Opportunity button. If this is not the first, simply click/tap the Add button.
- Give your opportunity a name. It will default to “Name of organization - current month and year,” but users can edit to be anything they would like.
- Populate any of the other information (see a list of default fields below) you have at this point and then click/tap Save at the bottom of the page.
How to associate activity with an opportunity
When you have a call or a meeting that pertains to your opportunity, you can add a note directly from the opportunity by going to the Timeline tab of the plan and clicking the bar with the text Add a note about XYZ…. You will notice that the regarding field will be automatically populated with the opportunity and the associated organization, so that it will show up in the timeline of both entities.
For email threads or notes that already exist elsewhere in the system that you would like to associate with an opportunity, simply expand the activity item by clicking on it and click/tap the plus icon. Then, use the search to find and select the desired opportunity in the Opportunities section. If you are unsure of the name, you can also expand the Opportunities section by toggling the arrow next to it to see the list of all available plans.
How to access an opportunity
The recommended way to get to your opportunity is to use the main search bar. Note: Opportunities will often show up farther down in the search results, below organizations and people that match your search. This is the quickest way to navigate to the opportunity you are looking for, though you can also get to it by going to the Opportunities page for the associated organization.
If you are not sure which specific opportunity you are looking for, use the standard Opportunities list from the main menu or create your own opportunities report that you can save and use to access your opportunities from the Reports option in the main menu.
How to edit an opportunity
The recommended way to update an opportunity is to go to a specific view for the opportunity you would like to edit and click/tap the Edit button in the top right of the view to edit only the fields in that custom view. If you do not have a custom view set up for your opportunities see the below Global opportunity settings section of this article.
If you need to edit a field that is not included in any of your custom views, click/tap the gear icon in the top right of the opportunity screen and choose Edit…. This will bring you to the main edit screen for the opportunity where all fields for the opportunity can be populated.
How to delete an opportunity
Navigate to the opportunity using the main search or the Opportunities list from the main menu and then click/tap the gear icon and choose Delete.
Global opportunity settings (for Admins)
The below section explains how users with Administrator rights ("Admins") can configure opportunities to match their organization's processes.
Default fields on opportunities
Opportunities come with with a handful of fields. All of these fields can be renamed, and the options in the “Stage” list field can be edited, but only the “Summary” field can be deleted.
- Summary - this is a multi-line text field that can be used to briefly describe the opportunity.
- Organization - this is a link field that is restricted to organizations that is used to designate which prospect this opportunity relates to.
- Sales Rep - this is a link field that is restricted to people that is used to indicate the internal representative (person at your organization) who is responsible for the opportunity.
- Stage - this is a single-select list field used to show where the opportunity is in your normal process. The list options can be edited to reflect your own stages and include an associated percentage (for those using weighted probabilities), as well as a flag to indicate whether that particular option is a closed state or open state. Tip: Though you can reorder the list options, prepend your stages with numbers (e.g. 0-8) so that they will sort in an order that makes sense for you when working with the data in Excel.
- Close Date - this is a date field used to indicate the target date the opportunity will come to fruition.
- Amount - this is a currency number field used to represent the monetary value associated with the opportunity.
How to edit default fields and create additional fields on opportunities
As noted above, we seed opportunities with a handful of fields that may or may not match your process. Changing the existing fields or adding more fields is easy and encouraged. See this Custom fields help article for detailed instructions on how to add/edit/delete custom fields. Any administrative user (“Admin”) can make these changes. See below for a few special notes.
Existing (e.g. default) opportunity fields
Admins can edit the label (e.g. name) and description for these fields. In the case of the “Stage” field, Admins can also edit (e.g. rename, add, remove, reorder) the list options and their associated percentages and open/closed states.
The default fields must remain on opportunities so that all of its features work properly. However, you can remove the “Summary” field if it does not fit your process. See the Custom fields article for instructions on deleting fields.
How to arrange fields on opportunities
There are a couple of ways to organize your opportunity fields.
Reordering opportunity fields
To determine the order of the fields on the Details page of opportunities, when in the edit screen of an opportunity, use the grab handle icon to the right of the field to drag and drop the fields in your desired order. Click/tap Save.
Further organizing opportunity fields
Just as with people and organizations, Admins can create one or more custom views for opportunities, which arrange fields into groups and sections with further descriptive text if so desired. For more information on how to do this, see the Custom views help article.
Prefer to see this all in action? Check out the opportunities overview video!